SOUND DIAGNOSTICS, INC. offers screening for detection of parasites in mice and rats.
|Mice, rats||Ectoparasites||Myobia, Myocoptes, Radfordia||Pelage Tape Test||$8.50|
|Mice, rats||Endoparasites||Syphacia sp.||Anal Tape Test||$8.50|
As reported by Jacoby, R.O. and Lindsey, J.R. Risks of infection among laboratory rats and mice at major biomedical research institutions. ILAR Journal 39:266-271, 1998, internal parasites, specifically pinworms (Aspiculuris, Syphacia), occurred in about one-third of institutional SPF mouse colonies and external parasites, specifically mites, occurred in about 15 percent of institutional colonies. The prevalence was doubled in non-SPF colonies. In institutional SPF rat colonies, about one-third had pinworms (Syphacia) and about five percent had mites. As with mice, the prevalence was doubled in non-SPF rat colonies.
- Pelage tape test. Press clear cellophane tape against the pelt of the rodent, dorsally and ventrally, from the nose to the base of the tail. Affix tape to a clear microscope slide and label with identification.
- Anal tape test. Press clear cellophane tape against the perianal area of the rodent. Affix tape to a clear microscope slide and label with identification.
- Fecal flotation. Obtain a fresh fecal pellet and put in an unbreakable vial. Vials from Scimart (800-434-8850) are recommended (tube number T341-6TPR and cap number T340N0SL). Label with identification.
- If you are a client of Phoenix Laboratory, you may call them at 800-347-0043 to arrange for pickup of specimens for delivery to SOUND DIAGNOSTICS, INC. at no charge. If you are not a client of Phoenix Laboratory but are within their service area (Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska), call to ask if they can pick up at your location. Put specimens in a zip-lock bag with SOUND DIAGNOSTICS, INC. visible through the bag.
- Specimens from rodents inoculated with human cells or any infectious agents cannot be accepted because of the hazard to human health.
- Results will be mailed. Fax, phone or e-mail transmittal is available upon request
SDI WILL PERFORM TESTING SERVICES IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SAMPLE SUBMISSION INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE CLIENT. IF TESTING SERVICES DO NOT CONFORM TO THE SUBMISSION INFORMATION, OR IF YOU, THE CLIENT, ARE UNSATISFIED WITH OUR SERVICES, PLEASE CONTACT SDI WITHIN 30 DAYS AND WE WILL RETEST THE SAMPLES OR REFUND THE TESTING FEE. EXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED ABOVE, SDI'S SERVICES ARE PROVIDED TO THE CLIENT "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND THE ENTIRE RISK, AS TO THE RESULTS AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SDI SERVICES, IS ASSUMED BY THE CLIENT. SPECIFICALLY, THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED ABOVE, SDI SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR SPECIAL DAMAGES OF CLIENT WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION AND THE LIKE ARISING OUT OF THESE SERVICES, EVEN IF CLIENT HAS ADVISED SDI OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.